how can ACT-R models age?

Dario Salvucci dario at cbr.com
Thu Jan 4 17:09:20 EST 2001

aging?  In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has done work toward
the following question: Given a "young expert" ACT-R model, is there
a general (domain-independent) way of making it an "elderly" model
simply by changing appropriate parameters?  For instance, one might
imagine that cycle time increases by some percentage causing general
slowdown (there seems to be EPIC work suggesting this), or that W
decreases, and/or that the latency of certain perceptual-motor
parameters increases.  I'm specifically interested in modeling
elderly drivers using an existing model of younger drivers, but I'm
hoping to carry over any related results / parameter changes from
other domains if at all possible.

Thanks, and best wishes for the new year,
Dario

Dario Salvucci
Cambridge Basic Research
Email: dario at cbr.com