Postdoc Position

Greg Trafton trafton at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Oct 20 10:36:43 EDT 2000

Naval Research Laboratory
Washington, DC

NRL is currently working on a project to combine computational
cognitive architectures (e.g., ACT-R) with machine learning/genetic
algorithms in novel ways.  We are investigating how combining these
two different computational systems will lead to more robust cognitive
models with better performance.

The project has two main goals.  The first goal is to add cognitive
representation to a machine learning system.  The second goal is to
integrate the workings of both the cognitive architecture and the
machine learning system.

This project will use a number of different methodologies including
protocol analysis, psychological experiments, cognitive modeling, and
machine learning experiments.

Initial responsibilities will be to create a computational cognitive
model of a simple task (using ACT-R), create a similar model using an
in-house machine learning/GA system, and combine them to use the best
of both systems.  Additional responsibilites will be to empirically
evaluate different versions of the system.  Background or experience
with either a computational cognitive architecture (ACT-R, Soar, EPIC,
etc.) or experience using machine learning techniques is necessary.
We do not expect the candidate to know both a computational cognitive
architecture and a machine learning technique, though we do expect the
candidate to be willing to learn the "other" system.  We expect that
the successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or
Psychology but Ph.D.'s in other areas can be considered.

The appointment would be for one year; an additional two years would be
contingent on availability of funds and performance.  We currently have
funding for this project for three years.  This appointment would be
either an ASEE or NRC postdoc position; only American citizens are
eligible.

Post Doc Stipend:  $47,000/year for first year

Please send a vita, a statement of research interest, and a cover
letter explaining why you wish to be considered for this position to
either Greg Trafton at trafton at itd.nrl.navy.mil or phone 202-767-3479
or fax number 202-404-4080 or snail mail:

Naval Research Lab, Code 5513
4555 Overlook Av. S.W.
Washington, DC 20375-5337

or to Alan Schultz at schultz at aic.nrl.navy.mil or phone 202-767-2684
or fax number 202-767-3172 or snail mail:

Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence
Naval Research Laboratory, Code 5515
4555 Overlook Ave. S.W.
Washington DC 20375-5337