skipping steps

Ken Koedinger koedinger at CMU.EDU
Sun Oct 24 08:58:30 EDT 1999

wrote:

>> I remember some years ago somebody did a model of skipping steps (I
think

>> it was a math task but I'm not sure). If anyone can remember this
and can

>> point me to a paper of it, I'd be most grateful.

>Well, since I did this, hopefully I can remember it. Here's its
reference:

>Blessing, S. B. & Anderson, J. R. (1996). How people learn to skip
steps.

>Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition,
22,

>576-598.

>The task was an isomorph of simple algebra. If I remember correctly,
this

>was done under ACT-R 3.0, and a slightly modified analogy mechanism
(which

>may or may not now correspond to what's in 4.0). Unfortunately, I
haven't

>updated the actual model since that time. The paper will hopefully
give you

>all the info you need if you want to build on it in the current
version of

>ACT-R. Let me know if you have any further questions, though (if
prompted, I

>may be able to find the code, but again, I'm not sure how useful it
may be

>at this point).

>Steve

>Dr. Stephen Blessing <<blessing at carnegielearning.com>

>Carnegie Learning, Inc. <<http://www.carnegielearning.com>

>372 N. Craig St., Suite 101

>Pittsburgh, PA  15213

>Voice: (412) 683-6284,  Fax: (412) 683-0544

Gary,

I also did a model of step skipping:

Anderson, J.R. (1990).  Abstract planning and perceptual chunks:
Elements of expertise in geometry. <italic>Cognitive Science</italic>,
14, 511-550.

knowledge is used to guide effective planning.  The model was
schema-based, not in ACT-R, but there is a discussion of the
possibilities and challanges of implementing it in an ACT production
system.

Cheers,

Ken

Kenneth R. Koedinger

Human-Computer Interaction Institute

Carnegie Mellon University                  Phone:  412-268-7667

5000 Forbes Avenue                          Fax:    412-268-1266

Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3891                   koedinger at cs.cmu.edu

Home page:  http://act.psy.cmu.edu/ACT/people/koedinger.html