Parameter settings

Gary Jones gaj at psychology.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 09:14:19 EST 1999

Hello all,

I'm examining the effect that different mechanisms of development have upon
a model of adult behaviour on a developmental task. Some mechanisms are
particularly suited to ACT-R (e.g. strategy choice can be operationalised
using expected gain noise). So for example, as you increase EGN, the
behaviour of the model is degraded (fitting the reaction time data of seven
year old's on the task). Parameters such as EGN and retrieval threshold are
open-ended though - are there any specific ranges that are normally adhered
to? (Catastrophic changes in behaviour are not seen in the model until
EGN=5 or 6; I expect the "standard" range for modelling adults would be
0-1).

Gary Jones
Psychology Department
University of Nottingham