CIRCLE Spring seminar series starts Monday, Jan. 26

Peter Brusilovsky plb at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 22 13:55:17 EST 1998

The first CIRCLE Spring seminar series speaker is Roger Dannenberg,
Computer Science Department, Carnegie Mellon University, who will review
his work on multimedia-based tutoring systems.

*** All further announcement of CIRCLE Spring seminars will be distributed
via circle-announce distribution list. ***

>From Piano Tutor to Just-In-Time Lectures:
Computer-Based Learning in Theory and Practice

Roger B. Dannenberg
Computer Science Department
Carnegie Mellon University

Monday, January 26, 1998, 12 noon,
Learning Research and Development Center (LRDC), 3939 O'Hara Street
2nd floor auditorium.

Abstract: The Piano Tutor is an early multimedia-based, conversational,
intelligent tutor.  It works well, but like many ITS systems, it was
expensive to create and maintain, and survives only as a demonstration
system. In creating Piano Tutor, we invented ways to represent and
design a curriculum at a very detailed level and thought that this might
facilitate the construction of low-cost ITS systems. Just-In-Time
Lectures, my current project, provide a low-cost way to capture content.
In contrast to Piano Tutor, Just-In-Time Lectures are not intelligent,
not expensive, and they are finding increasing use for practical
distance learning. I will conclude by describing my vision of a system
that incorporates some of the best attributes of Piano Tutor and
Just-In-Time Lectures.

Contact information:

Please, contact Roger Dannenberg directly (Roger.Dannenberg at cs.cmu.edu)

The subject line can be anything. The body of the message should begin with:
        subscribe circle-announce <your-email-address-here>
        end
The email address in <your-email-address-here> must be *exactly* the
same as the address you are sending from. This is for security (so that
people can normally only subscribe themselves). The "end" is not needed
if no signature is appended. To unsubscribe merely replace "subscribe"
with "unsubscribe".

To find out more about CIRCLE see http://www.pitt.edu/~circle or contact
Kurt VanLehn (vanlehn at cs.pitt.edu).