Parameter learning problem

Lynne M Reder reder+ at CMU.EDU
Thu Oct 16 09:34:16 EDT 1997

Excerpts from mail: 16-Oct-97 Parameter learning problem by Niels
Taatgen at tcw2.ppsw.
> For the second problem I have no clear intuitions. Todds solution sounds
> appealing, although I am not sure what he means by "Recognizing the
> goal". It sounds like it can be done with the current architecture,
> which is of course always more attractive than requiring changes.

Perhaps what Todd means is that ACT-R should be modified to allow  more
data driven behavior rather than being so "top down."  John is very goal
oriented and as the theory stands it may be a good model of him, but
he's lived with me long enough to know that there exist people that are
much more stimulus driven.  Couldn't there be a high level production
that
notices when elements in the environment are very active?  When
something is very active perhaps one tries to match it to a goal.

As for the case of feeling of knowing:  When there is a goal to
answer a question, perhaps the production that tries to answer the
question could begin by evaluating the activation of the problem
representation to decide whether to search (or continue search) as
opposed to always trying search before calculating the answer.   I
think there is a lot of evidence to support the psychological validity
of that process (I'll spare you the personal citations this time).

--Lynne