FW: "Working Memory"

Kirschenbaum_Susan kirsch at c223.npt.nuwc.navy.mil
Wed Nov 27 09:04:56 EST 1996

Into the semantic frey:  I sent the attached message to Christian shortly
after receiving his first  message.  Now, given Dave Klahr's note about
documenting the birth of a technical term/new technical meaning for an old
term, I add it to the discussion.

More than that, I wanted to respond to Chris Schunn's suggestion that "dme"
might be seen as "a hacker's invention" -- I disagree, it is a useful
shorthand for declarative memory element.  Isn't that exactly what the term is
intended to mean?  It is more percise to invent a new term than to try to
redefine and old one, even if some of the associated baggage is "useful and
relevant."  Chris's suggestion that non-ACT-Rers be consulted is a good way to
resolve this question.  Does chunk carry too much baggage or the wrong baggage
(see Wayne's comments re procedural memory)?    Does/can dme, lump, clump,
clod, hunk, gob, nugget, or wad best carry the right, percise, technical
meaning?  My personal vote is for the new term, dme, but I am not a casual or
novice user or reader of this literature.

Susan