[Soups-announce] Call for Papers: HCI Journal Special Issue on Personal Information Management

Rader, Emilee emilee at msu.edu
Tue Sep 13 10:46:17 EDT 2022

Hi all,

See below for information about a special issue of HCI Journal focusing on Personal Information Management (PIM), broadly construed. Please note that topics related to managing security and privacy information are in scope for this special issue!

-Emilee

----

You are invited to submit a proposal to a new HCI journal Special Issue on Personal Information Management (https://bit.ly/_Information_Management).

Proposal deadline: 30 October 2022

Manuscript deadline: 28 February 2023

We anticipate that final papers will be published in November 2023.

Personal Information Management in the Age of Ubiquitous Personal Data

Personal Information Management (PIM) is a fact of life. Every day we create, retrieve and manage our personal information, including files, photos, music, and web information. We do this for both work and entertainment purposes. Many PIM technologies such as files and folders have existed for decades. Others such as collaborative storage, music recommendations, personal informatics and photo search are more recent. These recent shifts in the technology landscape provoke new issues for PIM that motivate this special issue. The ubiquity of mobile phones and social media have proliferated photo taking and sharing. AI technologies are changing our music consumption habits. And personal informatics has vastly extended the information that we have available about our everyday behaviors, promising new insights. Other social challenges arise from the lack of control we have over the privacy of our personal information. In addition to personal information that people explicitly create and use, many systems routinely collect highly personal information such as usage and location data without our direct knowledge. This provokes questions about how users might better understand how such data is being shared.

Topics may include, but are not limited to:

  *   Studies of how we create, manage and retrieve personal files, email, web documents, social media, pictures and music
  *   PIM in the context of work tasks and multi-tasking
  *   Collaborative information organization and retrieval
  *   Privacy and security, policy and legal issues, including the management of passwords and sensitive personal data
  *   PIM in mobile, social network, tracking and family situations
  *   LifeSpan and Afterlife PIM including end of life and post-mortem
  *   Psychological aspects of PIM
  *   PIM systems design, including issues around acceptance and uptake
  *   Hoarding and Deletion
  *   Integrative or Theoretical Work
  *   New PIM Methods including AI and Machine Learning

Submission Instructions

To help authors find a good fit, we encourage proposals. Proposals should be about 1000 words and provide a clear indication of what the paper is about. Proposals will be evaluated for relevance to the special issue theme, and guidance will be given. Both proposal and full paper submissions should be submitted to the HCI Editorial site (mc.manuscriptcentral.com/hci<http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/hci>). Follow the guidelines and instructions for submissions on the site. There is a place on the submission site to note that your submission is for the special issue. Special Issue submissions will be peer-reviewed to the usual standards of the HCI journal. For questions and queries about the special issue, please email one of the special issue editors.

Submission of Proposals: (Due 30th October 2022). Please select 'Personal Information Management in the Age of Ubiquitous Personal Data' when submitting your paper using Scholarone.

Special Issue Editors:

Stephen Whittaker, University of California at Santa Cruz, USA
swhittak at ucsc.edu<mailto:swhittak at ucsc.edu>

Ofer Bergman, Bar Ilan University, Israel
oferbergman at gmail.com<mailto:oferbergman at gmail.com>

Emilee Rader, Michigan State University, USA
emilee at msu.edu<mailto:emilee at msu.edu>