[CL+NLP Lunch] [TODAY] CL+NLP lunch at 12:00 on Nov 23th at 8102

Kazuya Kawakami www.kazuya.kawakami at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:16:22 EST 2015

This is a reminder for nlp-lunch talk today!!

Please join us for the next CL+NLP lunch at *12:00 on **Nov** 23**th** at *
*8102*,
where Chu-Ren Huang will be speaking about Chinese Language Processing.
Lunch will be provided!

ML+NLP lunch
*Monday Nov 23th at 12:00*
*GHC 8102*

What You Need to Know about Chinese for Chinese Language Processing

In this talk, I will introduce essential knowledge of Chinese
linguistics encompassing both the fundamental knowledge of the
linguistic structure of Chinese as well as explanations regarding how
such knowledge of the language can be explored in Chinese language
processing. The perspective will be synergetic, aiming to provide
comprehensive knowledge of the linguistic characteristics of the
Chinese language along with insights and case studies explaining how
such knowledge can help language technology.

The talk will be organized according to the structure of linguistic
knowledge of Chinese, starting from the basic building block to the
use of Chinese in context. The first part deals with characters (字) as
the basic linguistic unit of Chinese in terms of phonology,
orthography, and basic concepts. An ontological view of how the
Chinese writing system organizes meaningful content as well as how
this onomasiological decision affects Chinese text processing will
also be discussed. The second part deals with words (词) and presents
basic issues involving the definition and identification of words in
Chinese, especially given the lack of conventional marks of word
boundaries. The third part will focus on lemmatization and parts of
speech (词类), underlining the unique challenges Chinese poses for
lemmatization, as well as distributional properties of Chinese PoS and
tagging systems. The fourth part deals with sentence and structure,
focusing on how to identify grammatical relations in Chinese as well
as a few Chinese-specific constructions. In each topic, an empirical
foundation of linguistics facts are clearly explicated with a robust
generalization, and the linguistic generalization is then accounted
for in terms of its function in the knowledge representation system.
Lastly this knowledge representation role is then exploited in terms
of the aims of specific language technology tasks. In terms of
references, in addition to language resources and various relevant
papers, the tutorial will make reference to Huang and Shi’s (2016)
reference grammar for linguistic description of Chinese.

Bio:
Chu-Ren Huang, 黄居仁, is a Chair Professor of Applied Chinese Language
Studies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
He is a President of  Hong Kong Academy of the Humanities and a
Permanent Member, International Committee on Computational Linguistics.

Best regards,
Kazuya