[CL+NLP Lunch] [Today] CL+NLP lunch at 13am at 8102

Kazuya Kawakami www.kazuya.kawakami at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:52:27 EST 2015

This is a reminder for NLP lunh talk today!

Please join us for the next CL+NLP lunch at *13am **at **8102*,
where Ndapa Nakashole will be speaking about Knowledge Graph.
Lunch will be provided.

We got some requests for recording, but unfortunately we cannot record the
talk this time. Let me figure out how to share the talk to students in
conferences and in SV campus.

ML+NLP lunch

*Tuesday Nov 17th at 13:00 - 14:00**GHC 8102*

The Knowledge Graph Extraction Virtuous Circle

Knowledge graphs such a NELL, Freebase, and YAGO have accumulated large
amounts of beliefs about real world entities using machine reading methods.
Current machine readers have been successful at populating such knowledge
graphs by means of pattern detection — a shallow way of machine reading
which leverages the redundancy of large corpora to capture language
patterns. However, machine readers still lack the ability to fully
understand  language.
In the pursuit of the much harder goal of language comprehension, knowledge
graphs present an opportunity for a virtuous circle:  the accumulated
knowledge
can be used to improve machine readers; in turn, advanced reading methods
can be used to populate knowledge graphs with beliefs expressed using
complex and potentially ambiguous language. In this talk, I  will elaborate
on this virtuous circle, starting with methods for building knowledge
graphs, followed by results on using them  for machine reading.

Bio:
Ndapa Nakashole is a postdoctoral fellow in the Machine Learning Department
at Carnegie Mellon University.
She holds a B.Sc and an M.Sc from the University of Cape Town, South Africa
and a PhD from the Max Planck Institute for Informatics and Saarland
University, Germany.

Best regards,
Kazuya