[CL+NLP Lunch] [SHORT NOICE] CL+NLP lunch, Oct.26 Monday

Kazuya Kawakami kkawakam at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 23 16:30:05 EDT 2015

Hi All

Please join us for the next CL+NLP lunch at noon on Monday Oct 26th,
where Jiang Guo will be speaking about Cross-lingual Transfer Parsing.
Lunch will be provided!

To arrange meetings with Jiang, please see the following document.
(
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i4s181AWQGY1SJup76BZGgsjpquAH2ZrVe7tHWISPYc/edit
)

ML+NLP lunch
Monday, Oct 26th at 11:00am
GHC 7101

Speaker: Jiang Guo, Johns Hopkins University

[TITLE]
Representation Learning for Cross-lingual Transfer Parsing

[ABSTRACT]
Cross-lingual model transfer has been a promising approach for inducing
dependency parsers for low-resource languages where annotated treebanks are
not available. The major obstacles for the model transfer approach are
two-fold:

1. Lexical features are not directly transferable across languages.

2. Target language-specific syntactic structures are difficult to be
recovered.

In this talk, I will provide a representation learning framework to address
these challenges. By evaluating on the Google universal dependency
treebanks (v2.0), our best models yield an absolute improvement of 6.53% in
averaged labeled attachment score, as compared with delexicalized
multi-source transfer models. We also significantly outperform the
state-of-the-art transfer system proposed most recently.

[SHORT BIO]
Jiang Guo is a joint Ph.D student at Johns Hopkins University and at Harbin
Institute of Technology. His research interests are in the areas of natural
language processing, machine learning, with special interests on
distributed representation learning and its applications on NLP tasks
(mostly structure prediction problems). His long-term goal is developing
efficient and effective algorithms and softwares for NLP and machine
learning applications.

Up comming talk will be on 17th Nov. 12:00-13:00 by Ndapa Nakashole.

Best regards,
Kazuya