[CL+NLP Lunch] CL+NLP Lunch, Fei Liu, Thursday February 26th @ 12:30pm

Dallas Card dcard at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:27:53 EST 2015

Please join us for the next CL+NLP lunch at 12:30 on Thursday February
26th, where Fei Liu will be speaking about summarization. Lunch will be
provided!

---
CL+NLP lunch <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~nlp-lunch/>
Thursday, February 26th at 12:30pm
GHC 4405

Speaker: Fei Liu, LTI

Title: Summarizing Information in Big Data: Algorithms and Applications

Abstract:
Information floods the lives of modern people, and we find it
overwhelming. Summarization systems that identify salient pieces of
information and present it concisely can help. In this talk, I will
discuss both the algorithmic and application perspectives of
summarization. Algorithm-wise, I will describe keyword extraction,
sentence extraction, and summary generation, including a range of
techniques from information extraction to semantic representation of data
sources; application-wise, I focus on summarizing human conversations,
social media contents, and news articles. The data sources span
low-quality speech recognizer outputs and social media chats to
high-quality content produced by professional writers. A special focus of
my work is exploring multiple information sources. In addition to better
integration across sources, this allows abstraction to shared research
challenges for broader impact. Finally, I try to identify the missing
links in cross-genre summarization studies and discuss future research
directions.

Speaker Bio:
Fei Liu is a postdoctoral fellow at Carnegie Mellon University, member of
Noah's ARK. Fei's research interests are in the areas of natural language
processing, machine learning, and data mining, with special emphasis on
automatic summarization and social media. From 2011 to 2013, Fei worked as
a Senior Research Scientist at Bosch Research, Palo Alto, California, one
of the largest German companies providing intelligent car systems and home
appliances. Fei received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University
of Texas at Dallas in 2011, supported by an Erik Jonsson Distinguished
Research Fellowship. Prior to that, she obtained her Bachelors and Masters
degrees in Computer Science from Fudan University, Shanghai, China. Fei
has published over twenty peer reviewed articles, and she serves as a
referee for leading journals and conferences.

--
Dallas Card
Machine Learning Department