[CL+NLP Lunch] CL+NLP Lunch November 19 @ 12.30pm: Vinodkumar Prabhakaran

Dani Yogatama dyogatama at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 13 16:14:48 EST 2013

*CL+NLP Lunch *(*http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~nlp-lunch/
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~nlp-lunch/>*)
*Speaker*: Vinodkumar Prabhakaran, Columbia University
*Date*: Tuesday, November 19, 2013
*Time*: 12:30pm *(note: 12.30pm not at noon)*
*Venue*: GHC 4405

*Title:* Manifestations of Social Power in Interactions

*Abstract:* In this talk, I will present the study on how social power
relations
affect the way people interact with one another in both
online and offline settings and how we can use statistical machine
learning techniques to detect these power relations automatically. The
talk will cover studies on two different domains — A) Enron email
corpus (written, task-oriented) and B) 2012 Republican Presidential
Primary debates (spoken, persuasive). In part A, we explored four
different types of power — influence, hierarchical power, situational
power, and power over communication — within an organizational
setting. We found that these four types of power i) manifest in the
structure of the dialog, ii) are different in the ways they manifest
in dialog and iii) can be predicted using automatic means with
reasonable performance. In part B, the presidential primary debates,
we modeled power based on the candidates’ relative position in the
recent polls released prior to each debate. We found that a
candidate’s power affects the way they interact with others in the
debate as well as the way others interact with them. I will also
present an automatic power ranker system to rank candidates in terms
of their relative power based on linguistic and structural features.

*Bio:* Vinodkumar Prabhakaran is a 4th year PhD student working under
the supervision of Dr. Owen Rambow at the Center for Computational
Learning Systems (CCLS). His research focuses on statistical machine
learning techniques for NLP and spans across different areas within
NLP such as computational sociolinguistics, semantic analysis and
biomedical information extraction. His thesis focuses on analyzing
social interactions to detect social power relations between
interactants, across various type of power, genres and domains. His
work has been published at various international venues such as WWW,
NAACL, COLING, IJCNLP and ECAI.