[CL+NLP Lunch] Next Monday, 3:30: Yoav Goldberg on syntactic parsing for Hebrew

Nathan Schneider nathan at cmu.edu
Mon Apr 4 21:48:25 EDT 2011

All,

This month's CL+NLP seminar will feature Yoav Goldberg, and will take place
at a special time:

*Monday, April 11, 3:30pm
NSH 3305
*
Dealing with the Complexities of Syntactic Parsing in Hebrew: Addressing
agreement, word-segmentation and rich morphology in a fast dependency parser

Abstract:
I will describe my experience with designing a syntactic parser for Hebrew,
a language with rich morphology and a small treebank. After describing some
of the characteristics that make automatic syntactic processing of Hebrew
challenging and discuss some data representation issues, I will present some
solutions to these challenges. These include improvements of a
semi-supervised broad-coverage tagger, and a greedy dependency parser which
can accommodate rich feature-sets and cope with noisy data while remaining
fast. I will also briefly discuss a constituency parsing system that
performs joint morphological segmentation and syntactic parsing. The work on
Hebrew brought about solutions that work well also for English, I will point
to these results when appropriate.

Bio:
Yoav Goldberg is finishing up his PhD in Ben-Gurion University in Israel
under the supervision of Prof. Michael Elhadad.  His PhD work revolves
around natural language processing in Hebrew and morphologically rich
languages, syntactic parsing, and doing fun stuff with computers and
language.  Prior to his PhD he participated in the Israeli Hi-Tech industry,
mostly as a freelance security consultant. His research interests include
structured prediction, computational creativity and confidence estimation.

Host: Shay Cohen

Snacks will be served.