[CL+NLP Lunch] Jan. 18 & Linguistics Reading Group

Nathan Schneider nathan at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 6 18:11:09 EST 2011

All,

A couple of quick announcements as we gear up for the new year:

First, a heads-up to mark your calendar for the next CL+NLP Lunch on
Tuesday, Jan. 18 (noon, GHC 6115). Chris Dyer will discuss
morphological modeling for machine translation. A more detailed
announcement will be sent out next week. At this point we expect
subsequent lunches this semester to take place on Tuesdays as well.

Second, we wanted to issue a reminder about the Linguistics Reading
Group. This group meets weekly for informal discussion of linguistics
topics and papers of interest to attendees. Please email me if you
wish to join the reading group email list. Of particular interest, the
reading group's meeting this coming Monday will feature a special
guest speaker: Stephanie Shih (from Stanford Linguistics) will present
on the role of rhythm in the English genitive alternation (e.g. what
motivates speakers to say "the car’s wheel" vs. "the wheel of the
car").

Cheers,
Nathan & Ben