IR Series - Justin Betteridge - Friday, May 23, 2008, 12:00pm, NSH 3002

Jonathan Elsas jelsas+ at cs.cmu.edu
Mon May 19 09:30:12 EDT 2008

Hello --

Please join us for another IR Series talk!

Lunch will be provided by Yahoo!

Who: Justin Betteridge
When: Friday, May 23, 2008, 12:00 pm
Where: NSH 3002

Title: Linguistic Pattern Learning for Web Information Extraction

Abstract:
Most approaches to automatically extracting structured information
from the web
rely on surface text patterns.  However, the manner in which such
patterns are
defined, learned, and employed in the larger system varies with each
case.  In
this talk, I will outline the spectrum of previous work in this area
and argue
for a linguistically-motivated definition, a hybrid heuristic/
classifier-based
assessment, and a multi-purpose employment of textual patterns in the
context of
Web Information Extraction (WIE).  I will also give preliminary
results from
adopting such an approach in our WIE system.