Connectionists: Nencki Open Lab Optics and Microscopy Workshop - May 10-12th, Goniądz, Poland

Mateusz Kostecki mtkostecki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 08:35:32 EDT 2024

Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce the third edition of our Optics and Microscopy
Workshop! This time we will meeting one of the most beautiful places in
Poland – Biebrza marshes!

The workshop will be a *thorough, hands – on introduction to optics and
microscopy*. With our instructor, Fred Marbach from Crick Institute, we
will start from absolute basics – *photons, ray diagrams and lenses*; then
move to building simple optical system, just to *end up building DIY
bright-field and fluorescent microscopes.* We will image neurons
(hopefully!), and understand every last bit of how that image came to be
(this is a certainty!).

During the workshop you will build an intuition for optics, allowing you to
reason about optical systems found in the lab (and in publications): you
will understand the equipment you are using on a much deeper level.

Workshop will take place *May 10-12th in Goniądz*, in Dwór Bartla,
overlooking the beautiful Biebrza river, which at this time of the year
provides great opportunities for birdwatching. The deadline for
registration is April 5th,* the cost of the workshop is EUR 250 (but we
provide fee waivers if needed)*. The cost includes the r*egistration fee,
accommodation, breakfast and lunch.* Please find the registration form and
more info here -
https://nenckiopenlab.org/optics-and-microscopy-workshop-2024/

Best,
Mateusz Kostecki