Connectionists: CAJAL Course in Quantitative Approaches to Behavior and Virtual Reality 2024

Daniel McNamee daniel.mcnamee at research.fchampalimaud.org
Wed Jan 24 15:41:28 EST 2024

CAJAL COURSE IN QUANTITATIVE APPROACHES TO BEHAVIOR AND VIRTUAL REALITY
2 - 21 June 2024, Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Lisbon, Portugal

https://cajal-training.org/on-site/quantitative-approaches-to-behaviour-and-virtual-reality/

Applications deadline: 19 February 2024

DIRECTORS
• Benjamin de Bivort (Harvard University, USA)
• Ann Kennedy (Northwestern University, USA)
* Giorgio Gilestro (Imperial College London, UK)
• Daniel McNamee (Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Portugal)

Quantitative studies of behaviour are fundamental in our effort to
understand brain function and malfunction. Recently, the techniques for
studying behaviour, along with those for monitoring and manipulating neural
activity, have progressed rapidly. Therefore, we are organizing a summer
course to provide promising young scientists with a comprehensive
introduction to state-of-the-art techniques in quantitative behavioural
methods.

This course’s content is complementary to other summer courses that focus
on measuring and manipulation neurophysiological processes. Our focus is on
methodologies to acquire rich data representations of behavior, dissect
them statistically, model their dynamics, and integrate behavioral
measurements with other kinds of neurobiological data. To this end,
students will 1) fabricate devices for recording the behavior of
experimental organisms (including flies, fish, and humans), 2) learn, under
the guidance of the scientists developing these methods, the modern tools
to analyze behavioral data from these organisms, and 3) in a week-long
independent project develop and conduct a behavioral study of their own
design, with the support and guidance of the course instructors and
teaching assistants.

The course is designed for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from
a variety of disciplines, including neuroscience, biology, ethology,
computer science, and psychology. Students are expected to have a keen
interest and basic background in neurobiology and behavior, as well as some
programming experience. A maximum of 20 students will be accepted. Students
of any nationality can apply. We specifically encourage applications from
researchers who work in the developing world. Stipends are available.

Confirmed faculty:
Ahmed Al-Hady (Max Planck Institute, Konstanz, Germany)
Kristin Branson (Janelia, USA)
Andre Brown (Imperial College, UK)
Bing Brunton (U Washington, USA)
Iain Couzin (Max Planck Institute, Konstanz, Germany)
Serena Ding (Max Planck Institute, Konstanz, Germany)
Gonzalo de Polavieja (Champalimaud, Portugal)
Kim Hoke (Colorado State University, USA)
Karla Kaun (Brown University, USA)
Kate Laskowski (UC Davis, USA)
Zach Mainen (Champalimaud, Portugal)
Talmo Pereira (Salk Institute, USA)
Hugo Spiers (UCL, UK)
Nachum Ulanovsky (Weizmann Institute, Israel)

more to be confirmed!

Daniel McNamee
(co-director, Champalimaud Research)