Connectionists: new neuroscience course for people from machine learning

Goodman, Daniel F M d.goodman at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 11:13:44 EST 2024

Hi everyone,

We made a free, open course on neuroscience for people with a machine learning or other quantitative background. You can use it to get started in computational neuroscience or just to indulge your neurocuriousity. I believe that neuroscience and ML can learn from each other and do better together than on their own.

The course has 34 short videos from introductory topics right up to recent discoveries we still don't fully understand. We also have practical exercises focussed on open ended discovery, fully compatible with Google Colab.

Check out the course website at:
https://neuro4ml.github.io/

Over the next year, I'll be turning this into an 'interactive textbook' with videos, text and runnable code in one place, and welcoming contributions on new topics, corrections, etc. through GitHub issues. All our materials are freely licensed for reuse in your own courses too.

Why this new course? There's a lot of intro neuroscience courses out there, and a lot of ML for neuroscientists, but I wanted this one to be specifically for quantitative people who are curious about the brain, interested in how it might be similar and different to ML.

We hope you'll enjoy it!

Thanks!

Dan Goodman and Marcus Ghosh
Imperial College London