Connectionists: Announcing Open Source Brain v2.0: NetPyNE, NWB Explorer and JupyterLab; ModelDB models and DANDI Archive datasets

Padraig Gleeson p.gleeson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 17 10:59:31 EST 2024

<Apologies for cross posting>

We would like to announce a major new version of the Open Source Brain
platform (v2.0) we have been working on which has a range of new
features for you to try: https://v2.opensourcebrain.org.

You can create cloud based, persistent workspaces which contain models
and data from a number of sources
(https://v2.opensourcebrain.org/repositories) including:

- All *OSBv1* projects incorporating NeuroML and PyNN models
- All *ModelDB* entries
- All *BRAIN Initiative DANDI Archive* datasets containing NWB files

Inbuilt applications which can open these workspaces include:

*- NetPyNE UI*, a 3D graphical application for neuronal simulations
(NeuroML compliant)
*- NWB Explorer* for opening and visualising data in NWB files
*- JupyterLab*, a full interactive Python environment, with a number of
computational neuroscience, data analysis and machine learning packages
preinstalled.

Full documentation is at https://docs.opensourcebrain.org and a Guided
Tour introducing the main features of the platform is here
<https://docs.opensourcebrain.org/OSBv2/Guided_tour.html>. We are very
keen for new users to try out our platform. Please note that you will
require a different username/password for OSBv2 from OSBv1. We are also
very happy to make dedicated resources available on the platform to
support classes/tutorials/computational neuroscience schools.

The Open Source Brain Initiative aims to:

- Make neuroscience experimental data and computational models from
around the world easily findable in a single location

- Provide a free to use, collaborative, web based, interactive computing
platform that integrates state of the art software tools for accessing
and working with large scale data sets and computational models.

- Encourage the use of standards for making research outputs more FAIR
(Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable): OSBv2 supports
NeuroML for models and NWB for data.

Please get in contact if you would like to help us with any of these goals!

Regards,
The OSB Team