Connectionists: Industry Job Posting - HCI / LLM Researcher

Brandon Minnery Brad at kairosresearch.com
Sun Jan 7 06:59:22 EST 2024

Greetings,

Kairos Research is seeking to hire a Senior Human-Computer Interaction Researcher with expertise in human language technology.

Position Overview: We currently have an opening for a full-time Senior Human-Computer Interaction Researcher whose work seeks to incorporate recent advances in generative large language models (LLMs). Specific research areas of interest include human-machine dialogue, human-AI alignment, trust (and over-trust) in AI, and the use of multimodal generative AI approaches in conjunction with other tools and techniques (e.g., virtual and/or augmented reality) to accelerate learning in real-world task environments. Additional related projects underway at Kairos involve the integration of generative AI into interactive dashboards for visualizing and interrogating social media narratives. The Human-Computer Interaction Researcher will play a significant role in supporting our growing body of work with DARPA, Special Operations Command, the Air Force Research Laboratory, and other federal sponsors.

Company Profile: Kairos Research (https://kairosresearch.com) is a young and dynamic company based in Dayton, OH, conducting cutting-edge research at the intersection of human and artificial intelligence for federal, State, and industry clients. We are especially proud of our culture here at Kairos, where we place a strong emphasis on fostering a mutually supportive, friendly, and collaborative work environment. Creativity and passion for research are the lifeblood of our organization and animate everything we do. For all positions, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package in addition to performance-based incentive programs.

The Ideal Candidate:

  *   Is a natural leader who enjoys taking charge of a project and/or team.
  *   Has a track record of writing winning research proposals and building his/her own portfolio of externally funded research.
  *   Has excellent communication skills and enjoys engaging directly with research colleagues and government program officers.

Other Preferred Skills:

  *   Experience with 1) deep learning, as well as common associated frameworks (e.g. PyTorch or TensorFlow) and 2) NLP, employing established toolsets (e.g. spaCy, nltk, gensim).
  *   Familiarity with common tools, frameworks, and services for building, testing, and evaluating generative AI, especially LLMs (e.g., HuggingFace, LangChain, OpenAI).
  *   Experience utilizing contemporary LLM frameworks for learning and inference, including supervised fine-tuning LLMs, as well as transformer reinforcement learning (e.g., reinforcement learning with human feedback (RLHF), direct preference optimization (DPO)).
  *   Expertise in evaluating AI alignment/misalignment, diagnosing possible sources of bias, and deploying strategies to address or mitigate poor alignment.

This is a great opportunity for an academic research scientist who is seeking a career change but who wants to continue pursuing original research!

Job Location: Dayton, Ohio

NOTE: Candidates must be US citizens or Permanent Residents (i.e., must hold a green card).

REQUIRED:

  *   US citizenship or green card.
  *   Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Linguistics, or related discipline.
  *   3+ years direct research experience post-Ph.D.
  *   Willingness and ability to obtain independent research funding.
  *   Strong publication record as lead author or senior author in high-impact journals/conferences.
  *   Excellent written and oral presentation skills.

Interested candidates should email their CV/resume to techadmin at kairosresearch.com<mailto:techadmin at kairosresearch.com> and cc: Locke Welborn (locke at kairosresearch.com<mailto:locke at kairosresearch.com> )

Brandon (Brad) Minnery, PhD
Chief Executive Officer
Kairos Research LLC

C: (301) 875-6855 | O: (937) 640-3998