Connectionists: [jobs] Phd opportunity in Lille, France - EventSpike : Asynchronous computer vision from event cameras

Ioan Marius BILASCO marius.bilasco at univ-lille.fr
Thu Feb 29 04:37:45 EST 2024

The FOX team from the CRIStAL laboratory (UMR CNRS), Lille France and
the PR team from the MIS Laboratory, Amiens France are looking to
recruit a joint PhD student starting in October 2024 on the following
subject: *EventSpike - Async**h**ronous computer vision from event
camera**s*
Abstract: Video analysis is one of the fundamental tasks in computer
vision. The dominant approach is based on deep neural networks applied
to RGB images. These models have disadvantages such as: a) the need of
large quantities of annotated data, which requires significant human
work; b) the significant computational and therefore energy cost of
these approaches; and c) redundancy in terms of visual information
between two successive images. Spiking neural networks can offer a
solution to these problems, through the use of unsupervised learning
rules inspired by biological learning and the possibility of
implementing them on ultra-low energy hardware components. . Event
cameras that only communicate changes in light intensity are positioned
as an alternative for capturing a scene when efficient processing on
hardware with low computing capabilities is required. The objective of
this thesis is to offer a joint response by proposing weakly supervised
learning methods based on spiking learning mechanisms which will
directly exploit the flow of impulses generated by an event camera. We
are targeting applications around autonomous driving, such as the
detection of moving vehicles or the recognition of information conveyed
by large displays along the road infrastructure.
The objective of this thesis is to develop new models of spiking neural
networks (SNN) capable of directly processing visual information in the
form of spike trains. The proposed models must be validated
experimentally on dynamic vision databases, following standard protocols
and best practices.
Candidates must hold a Master degree (or an equivalent degree) in
Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or a related field.
Experience in one or more of the following is a plus:
  • image processing, computer vision;
  • machine learning;
  • bio-inspired computing;
  • research methodology (literature review, experimentation…).
  Candidates should have the following skills:
  • good proficiency in English, both spoken and written;
  • scientific writing;
  • programming (experience in C++ is a plus, but not mandatory).
The candidate will be funded for 3 years; he/she is expected to defend
his/her thesis and graduate by the end of the contract. The monthly
gross salary is around 2000€, including benefits (health insurance,
retirement fund, and paid vacations).
For application, please send the following information in a single PDF
file to Pr. Marius Bilasco (marius.bilasco at univ-lille.fr) and Dr. Fabio
Morbidi (fabio.morbidi at gmail.com)with subject [PhD_EventSpike]:
  * A cover letter.
  * A curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, if any.
  * Transcripts of grades of Master's degree.
  * The contact information of two references (and any letters if
available).
We look forward to receiving your application until *12.04.2024*

*Context of the joint PhD*
The FOX research group is part of the CRIStAL laboratory (University of
Lille, CNRS), located in Lille, France. We focus on video analysis for
human behavior understanding. Specifically, we develop spatio-temporal
models of motions for tasks such as abnormal event detection, emotion
recognition, and face alignment. We are also involved in IRCICA (CNRS),
a research institute promoting multidisciplanary research. At IRCICA, we
collaborate with computer scientists and experts in electronics
engineering to create new models of neural networks that can be
implemented on low-power hardware architectures. Recently, we designed
state-of-the-art models for image recognition with single and
multi-layer unsupervised spiking neural networks. We were among the
first to succesfully apply unsupervised SNNs on modern datasets of
computer vision. We also developed our own SNN simulator to support
experiments with SNN on computer vision problems.
Our work is published in major journals (Pattern Recognition, IEEE
Trans. on Affective Computing) and conferences (WACV, IJCNN) in the field.

The PR (Robotic Perception) team has skills in mobile robotics
(perception), 3D reconstruction and unconventional vision. The PR team
is piloting the e-Cathedral program (2015-2025) and is currently
involved in four other projects which focus on event vision: the EVENTO
project (2021-2024) co-financed by AID, the ANR CERBERE project (
2022-2025) carried out by the LITIS laboratory of the University of
Rouen, the ANR DEVIN project (2024-2028) carried by the I3S laboratory
of the University of Côte d'Azur and the ANR-FWF project
(France-Austria) (2024-2028) carried by the UPJV and by TU Graz. The PR
team wishes to further strengthen this area of research and improve its
expertise in AI through collaboration with the CRIStAL laboratory.

The position is located in Lille, France. With over 110 000 students,
the metropolitan area of Lille is one France's top education student
cities. The European Doctoral College Lille Nord-Pas de Calais is
headquartered in Lille Metropole and includes 3,000 PhD Doctorate
students supported by university research laboratories. Lille has a
convenient location in the European high-speed rail network. It lies on
the Eurostar line to London (1:20 hour journey). The French TGV network
also puts it only 1 hour from Paris, 35 mn from Brussels, and a short
trips to other major centres in France such as Paris, Marseille and Lyon.

==
Ioan Marius BILASCO
Professeur des Universités en Informatique
Univ. Lille
CRIStAL CNRS - UMR 9189
Cité Scientifique
59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex - France