Connectionists: Essex BCI Webinar: Prof Reinhold Scherer - Non-invasive Neuroadaptive Neural Interfaces: Learning to Learn

Matran-Fernandez, Ana amatra at essex.ac.uk
Fri Feb 23 03:49:58 EST 2024

Dear colleagues,

As the organiser of the Essex Brain-Computer Interfaces and Neural Engineering (BCI-NE) webinar series, I am emailing to advertise our next online seminar:

Prof Reinhold Scherer, whose talk is entitled "Non-invasive Neuroadaptive Neural Interfaces: Learning to Learn"

Abstract: BCIs enable users to interact with external devices by converting signals measured from the brain into messages for the device. Patterns elicited unintentionally can be used to monitor neural processes and assess psychological states to trigger an adaptive response of the device (neuroadaptive). The main barriers to the use of spontaneous electroencephalogram (EEG)-based BCI technologies are the wide variation in performance when using BCIs and the inability of BCIs to provide meaningful control to a large proportion of users.

In this talk, I will argue that EEG-based online co-adaptive BCIs, which automatically adjust or recalculate the model parameters of the algorithms that translate the patterns, help to overcome the above problems. I will also present ideas on how BCI technology can be used to detect system errors in virtual reality and how it can be used to help people with Math Anxiety.

Biography: Reinhold Scherer is Professor of BCI and Neural Engineering, Co-Director of the Essex BCI-NE Laboratory and current Head of the School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering, University of Essex. His primary research interests are in the areas of online brain-machine co-adaptation, statistical and adaptive signal processing, mobile brain and body imaging, and rehabilitation. Active research topics focus on gaining deeper insights into brain dynamics and mechanisms underlying motor and cognitive learning, with the goal of improving the interpretability of brain rhythms and thereby optimizing the performance of spontaneous EEG-based BCI interaction and rehabilitation protocols. He is an associate editor of the journals Scientific Reports, Frontiers in Neuroprosthetics, and Brain-Computer Interfaces, and a board member of the International BCI Society.

The seminar will be delivered over Zoom on 28th February, 2pm UK time. In order to receive a link to join, please RSVP at the following form: https://forms.gle/v9ULLU68VrxLpPpe7A link to join the seminar will be sent to all who sign up shortly before the seminar. The talk will be recorded and made available in the lab's Youtube channel shortly after.

Best wishes,
Ana
Dr Ana Matran-Fernandez PhD
Lecturer in Neural Engineering and Artificial Intelligence
Department of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering (CSEE)
University of Essex
Office: 5B.539
E amatra at essex.ac.uk<mailto:amatra at essex.ac.uk>

Email notices:
1) I sometimes write emails outside (your) working hours. Please don't take this as an indication that I require an immediate response - we simply may be working at different times.
2) Because of the daily high load of emails, I may take some time to reply to you. If it's important, I may take even more time, because I want to provide an adequate response. If it's urgent, I'll try to reply quickly and maybe just with a very short email. No disrespect, just trying to be efficient - I'd understand if you did the same.