Connectionists: Statistics versus “Understanding” in Generative AI.

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Mon Feb 19 14:34:38 EST 2024

This dependency on exact formulation is literally why I think they don’t understand much.

An expert, who understands something deeply, can appreciate it in a variety of presentations; a novice fails to recognize slight transformations as the same problem, because they don’t really understand what’s going on.