Connectionists: Statistics versus “Understanding” in Generative AI.

Iam Palatnik iam.palat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:35:39 EST 2024

> The fact that answers are so dependent on word choice

Just to clarify, I was not referring to the prompt of the task itself. That
is, whether we tell chatgpt to 'add 2 and 2' or 'give me 2+2'.
I'm referring to the fact that adding something like 'think step by step
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/2205.11916.pdf>' onto the task prompt has a
noticeable effect on the performance for various tasks.
And it doesn't have to literally be 'think step by step' exactly.

An example that happened just the other day: a friend was trying to get
ChatGPT to write a 30 paragraph long text, and was having no luck. The
model always wrote the wrong number of paragraphs. I told him to try
including 'number the start of each paragraph to help yourself' to the
prompt and bingo. I had never seen someone trying to do this exact task,
nor this numbering trick. I came up with it on the spot, and it worked, but
why? Why should we expect the model to perform better with this, at all?

Do examples like this entail understanding or lack thereof? I'm not sure
everyone would agree on the answer.
But regardless of the specific wording we would use to describe what
happened there, it would be a problem if we are 'absolutely sure' ChatGPT
can't do X because it can't understand anything, while it turns out it can
do X if you just change the prompt or tool access.