Connectionists: Early history of symbolic and neural network approaches to AI

Weng, Juyang weng at msu.edu
Mon Feb 19 11:06:36 EST 2024

Somebody wrote below, "Newell and Simon [1976] defined a symbol is a meaningful pattern that can be manipulated."

I do not agree with Newell and Simon if they wrote that.   Otherwise, images and video are also symbols.  They probably were not sophisticated enough in 1976 to realize why neural networks in the brain should not contain or deal with symbols.

In the book "Natural and Artificial Intelligence", I defined  symbolic representation:

A symbolic representation in the brain of an agent has human handcrafted static boundaries where each zone represents a symbol (e.g., text as label) about a concept of the extra-body environment.

For example, if one model V1 as a region to detect edges (in extra-body environment), he models V1 using a symbolic representation.  This model is wrong because a brain region is plastic, not specific for a particular type of features.

-John
Brain-Mind Institute