Connectionists: Statistics versus “Understanding” in Generative AI.

Brad Wyble bwyble at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 10:53:51 EST 2024

Iam, the difference is that while you may need an external source to
remember all 50 states, for the ones that you have remembered/looked up,
you are able to verify that they do or do not contain specific letters
without reference to a resource, or writing some code to verify it.  It is
even worse that if you push them on their mistakes, they are still unable
to correct.

A better counterargument to the example Dave provides is that perhaps LLMs
just cannot ever break things down at the letter level because of their
reliance on tokens.  Humans can do this of course, but a good analogy for
us might be the Muller Lyer illusion, which is essentially impenetrable to
our cognitive faculties.  I.e. we are unable to force ourselves to see the
lines as their true lengths on the page because the basis of our
representations does not permit it.  This is perhaps similar to the way
that LLM representations preclude them from accessing the letter level.

However, I think a good counterpoint to this is that while people are
unable to un-see the Muller Lyer illusion, it is not that difficult to
teach someone about this blindspot and get them to reason around it, with
no external tools, just their own reasoning faculties.  LLMs seem unable to
achieve this level of self-knowledge no matter how patiently things are
explained.  They do not have the metacognitive faculty that allows them to
even understand their blindspot about letters.

--
Brad Wyble
Professor of Psychology