Connectionists: ChatGPT’s “understanding” of maps and infographics

Iam Palatnik iam.palat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 10:56:18 EST 2024

I understand why using the word 'understanding' might seem too generous
when models still have the failure modes mentioned. Some of the failure
modes (like the reversal curse <https://arxiv.org/pdf/2309.12288.pdf>) can
be remedied with access to tools, external context, self-reflection
prompts, but there are failures that cannot yet be remedied.

I just don't know what better word to use in the sentence "GPT-4 can ___
that scrambled text better than I can". 'Understand' just flows very
naturally in how we commonly use this word, even if it turns out that what
GPT-4 is doing is shallower or less general than what my brain is doing.
'Parse' or 'process' doesn't seem enough because the scrambled text
contains an instruction and GPT-4 does follow through with it. What word
should we use for this?