Connectionists: Statistics versus Understanding in Generative AI.

Danny Silver danny.silver at acadiau.ca
Wed Feb 14 09:49:52 EST 2024

I have a tendancy to agree with Leslie Smith concerning the philosophical disjunction that is occurring in this discussion.

However, the distinction between an agent that statistically manipulates symbols (ie. can use language similar to humans) and an agent that has a grounded sense of concepts and relations (ie. knows about the world like humans) is not as obvious as it was 20 years ago.   Certainly, it has a lot to do with the sensory modalities the agent can perceive and its ability to integrate and act on information from those modalities.    We are getting closer to an understanding of how such modalities might be integrated.  Recent work on LLMs that can input from, and output to, various modalities (text, video, audio, tactile) show evidence that they develop complex embedded representations of concepts (conreps) that include, or are closely connected to, representations of symbols (symreps).  There is a lot more to do here in terms of how these sensory modalities are integrated in real-time (in terms of architecture and learning), but my sense (pardon the pun) is that many AI researchers are on the right path.

For more on symreps and conreps, please see our paper (Silver and Mitchell 2023) “The Roles of Symbols in Neural-based AI: They are Not What You Think<https://arxiv.org/abs/2304.13626>!”  from the Compendium of Neurosymbolic Artificial Intelligence 2023: p.1-28.  Our hypothesis and the conceptual architecture we present imply that symbols will remain critical to the future of intelligent systems NOT because they are the fundamental building blocks of thought, but because they are characterizations of subsymbolic processes that constitute thought.

==========================
Daniel L. Silver
Professor, Jodrey School of Computer Science
Data Scientist, Acadia Institute for Data Analytics
Acadia University,
Office 314, Carnegie Hall,
Wolfville, Nova Scotia Canada B4P 2R6
Cell: (902) 679-9315

acadiau.ca<http://www2.acadiau.ca/index.php>
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/acadiauniversity>  Twitter<https://twitter.com/acadiau>  YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/AcadiaWebmaster>  LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/acadia-university?trk=biz-companies-cym>  Flickr<https://www.flickr.com/photos/acadiauniversity/albums>
[id:image001.png at 01D366AF.7F868A70]