Connectionists: Essex BCI Webinar: Prof Anne-Marie Brouwer - Monitoring attentional engagement though interpersonal physiological synchrony

Matran-Fernandez, Ana amatra at essex.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 06:56:49 EDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

As the organiser of the Essex Brain-Computer Interfaces and Neural Engineering (BCI-NE) webinar series, I am emailing to advertise our next online seminar:

Prof Anne-Marie Brouwer, whose talk is entitled "Monitoring attentional engagement though interpersonal physiological synchrony"

Abstract: Continuous and implicit measures of individuals' attention would be useful for a range of application. Brain responses can tell us about individuals' level and focus of attention, but it is not straightforward to retrieve this information in real life scenarios. In this talk, I will discuss research showing that the degree to which EEG signals vary in a similar way over time between individuals is associated with attentional engagement. Our findings that this also holds for other physiological signals (heart rate and skin conductance), under various real-life or life-like circumstances, and that it predicts subsequent behavior, make interpersonal physiological synchrony a promising marker of attention for applied settings as well as ecologically valid research.

Biography: Anne-Marie Brouwer is senior scientist at TNO (Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research, Soesterberg) and part-time full professor 'Mental State Monitoring' at Radboud University/Donders Centre in Nijmegen. Anne-Marie studied experimental psychology in Nijmegen and obtained her PhD on eye-hand coordination research in 2002 at the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam. Following post-docs at the Max Planck Institute in Tübingen and the University of Rochester (NY) she started working at TNO in 2007. Since 2007 her main topic of research is BCI and using brain and other physiological signals as potential sources of information about an individual's cognitive and emotional state. Anne-Marie works on basic research projects for and in collaboration with different parties, such as basic science funds, defense, and food industry. She is dedicated to explore the added value of physiological measures, connecting lab and real life studies, discuss the challenges that still exist and finding ways to cope with these.

The seminar will be delivered over Zoom on 24th April, 2pm UK time. A link to join the seminar will be sent to all who sign up at this form shortly before the seminar: https://forms.gle/3GHUbkWiFn7bVKf16

The talk will be recorded and made available in the lab's Youtube channel shortly after.

Best wishes,
Ana
Dr Ana Matran-Fernandez PhD
Lecturer in Neural Engineering and Artificial Intelligence
Department of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering (CSEE)
University of Essex
Office: 5B.539
E amatra at essex.ac.uk<mailto:amatra at essex.ac.uk>

Email notices:
1) I sometimes write emails outside (your) working hours. Please don't take this as an indication that I require an immediate response - we simply may be working at different times.
2) Because of the daily high load of emails, I may take some time to reply to you. If it's important, I may take even more time, because I want to provide an adequate response. If it's urgent, I'll try to reply quickly and maybe just with a very short email. No disrespect, just trying to be efficient - I'd understand if you did the same.