Connectionists: Google PhD Fellowships - Music and AI in Singapore

Dorien Herremans dorien.herremans at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 01:40:51 EDT 2024

Dear community,

The Google PhD fellowship programs are currently accepting applications in
South East Asia. Apply before 8 May for this prestigious fellowship.

The Audio, Music, and AI (AMAAI) Lab at SUTD invites strong candidates to
apply to the program for enrollment at Singapore University of Technology
and Design (SUTD). SUTD is a relatively new university, founded in
collaboration with MIT. You will be supervised by Prof. Dorien Herremans (
dorienherremans.com).

The Google PhD Fellowship Program aims to recognize outstanding graduate
students doing exceptional and innovative research in areas relevant to
computer science and related fields. Fellowships support promising PhD
candidates of all backgrounds who seek to influence the future of
technology. Applications close on May 8, 2024.

The AMAAI lab is engaged in cutting-edge research at the intersection of
music, audio, and artificial intelligence. Our PhD students contribute to
groundbreaking projects that explore areas such as:

   - Generative Music AI: We investigate the design of intelligent systems
   such as Mustango text-to-music.
   - Music Information Retrieval: We design algorithms capable of
   navigating vast music libraries based on complex criteria such as mood,
   genre, or even specific emotions conveyed by the music.
   - AI Music Production: We explore the creation of AI assistants that can
   produce professional-quality music arrangements or remixes tailored to an
   individual's preferences.- Affective Computing for Music

A PhD in the AMAAI lab offers a unique opportunity to:

   - Conduct research at the forefront of a rapidly developing field with
   the potential to significantly impact the future of music creation and
   interaction.
   - Gain experience in presenting research at top academic conferences and
   publishing groundbreaking papers in prestigious journals.
   - Potentially forge collaborations with leading figures in the music
   industry.

The ideal candidate will possess:

   - A strong academic background in computer science, electrical
   engineering, music information retrieval, or a related field.
   - A demonstrated passion for music and a keen interest in artificial
   intelligence.
   - Excellent programming skills and experience with relevant machine
   learning libraries (PyTorch etc).
   - The ability to work independently while also thriving in a
   collaborative research environment.
   - Strong communication and writing skills.

Candidates with a hands-on, proactive approach and problem-solving skills
are strongly encouraged to apply. Given the design-centered approach at
SUTD, the focus during the PhD will not only be on high-quality
publications, but also on designing practical applications.

If you want to apply at SUTD under the supervision of Prof. Dorien
Herremans, do fill out the application at Google, and apply for the program
at SUTD:

   - To apply:
   https://cseduapplication.withgoogle.com/applications/phdfellowshipindsea2024/create-application/edit
   - Go to (https://research.google/outreach/phd-fellowship/) to find more
   details about Google PhD Fellowships Southeast Asia 2024, application
   process and eligibility criteria.
   - Apply for enrollment (
   https://www.sutd.edu.sg/Admissions/Graduate/PhD-Programmes/SUTD-PhD-Programme/Application).
   This will be for January 2025 intake. After you apply, please send me an
   email with your application number so I can follow up.

SUTD applications are on a 6 month cycle. Other than the Google
Fellowships, there are other funding options available:

   - SINGA International graduate programme - International candidates
   (excl. India and China) (
   https://www.a-star.edu.sg/Scholarships/for-graduate-studies/singapore-international-graduate-award-singa
   )
   - Marie-Curie international fellowships (
   https://marie-sklodowska-curie-actions.ec.europa.eu/funding)

Best,

--
Dorien Herremans, PhD
Associate Professor, ISTD & DAI

Singapore University of Technology and Design
Information Technology and Design Pillar
Office 2.401-33