Connectionists: Sentient AI Survey Results

Thomas Trappenberg tt at cs.dal.ca
Wed May 31 06:08:45 EDT 2023

Thank you Jeff.

Just because we call something intelligent does not mean that it is human.
AI is a technology, and I have no idea what it means for it to have rights.
Does my car should have rights? LLMs have no structure that supports
consciousness, the human brain is very different.

However, the debate we need now is how we respond to the new technological
possibilities. Our society thinks we need a drivers license for a car, and
we have stiff penalties for producing fake money. How should we
address fake images or the increasing number of conspiracy theories? We now
need to understand better what makes us humans and how we educate ourselves
and our students on proper judgment and ethics.

Cheers, Thomas