Connectionists: Does AI need to replicate the human mind?

Rothganger, Fredrick frothga at sandia.gov
Fri Jun 9 13:20:44 EDT 2023

I'd like to pick up on one point Gary mentions. There are plenty of applications of AI that don't require replicating the human mind.

However, replicating the human mind is a worthy goal in and of itself, independent of applications. If we accept certain positions in the philosophy of mind, such as functionalism and materialism, then replicating the human mind in a machine is a scientific quest to understand ourselves in the most precise way possible: a computable model. This is the same motivation shared by psychology and other social sciences.

A complete computable model of the human mind should also explain all relevant observations from neuroscience, even if it is not literally a whole-brain model.