Connectionists: Open postdoctoral, Ph.D., and research assistant positions in Computational Neuroscience at UCLA

MARIO DIPOPPA mdipoppa at g.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 5 13:39:47 EDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

We seek outstanding applicants who are interested in developing theoretical
models to investigate fundamental questions in Computational and
Theoretical Neuroscience.

The selected candidates will be working on questions addressing how brain
computations emerge from the dynamics of the underlying neural circuits and
how the neural code is shaped by computational needs and biological
constraints of the brain. To tackle these questions, we employ a
multidisciplinary approach that combines state-of-the-art modeling
techniques and theoretical frameworks, which include but are not limited to
data-driven circuit models, biologically realistic deep learning models,
abstract neural network models, machine learning methods, and analysis of
the neural code.

Our research team, the Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience
Laboratory, is on the main UCLA campus and enjoys close collaborations with
the world-class neuroscience community there. The lab, led by Mario
Dipoppa, is a cooperative and vibrant environment where all members are
offered excellent scientific training and career mentoring.

We have multiple open positions at different levels. For all these
positions, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.

Postdoctoral positions. We are looking for candidates, who are eager to
solve fundamental questions with a creative mindset. Candidates should have
a strong publication track record in Computational Neuroscience or a
related quantitative field, including but not limited to Computer Science,
Machine Learning, Engineering, Bioinformatics, Physics, Mathematics, and
Statistics. Candidates holding a Ph.D. degree interested in joining the
laboratory as postdoctoral researchers should submit a CV including a
publication list, a copy of a first-authored publication, a research
statement describing past research and career goals (max. two pages), and
contact information for two academic referees.

Ph.D. positions. We are looking for candidates with a profound curiosity
for exploring novel research directions in Computational Neuroscience.
Candidates should have a strong academic track record in a quantitative
field. Candidates interested in joining the laboratory as Ph.D. students
should first enroll in one of the graduate programs at UCLA. Informal
inquiries on the appropriate graduate program are welcome by email.
Candidates should attach a CV and a description of their research interest
in their inquiries.

Research assistant positions. We are looking for candidates with a keen
interest in gaining research experience in Computational Neuroscience,
pursuing their own projects, and supporting those of other team members.
Candidates should have a bachelor's or master's degree in a quantitative
discipline and strong programming skills, ideally in Python. Candidates
interested in joining the laboratory as research associates should send a
CV, a research statement describing past research and career goals (max.
one page), and contact information for two academic referees.

UCLA is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer (AA/EOE). We
strive to promote an inclusive and collaborative work environment. We
welcome applications from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Individuals
from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.

We strongly encourage candidates to apply early as applications will be
reviewed until the positions are filled. The positions are available
immediately with a flexible starting date. Please submit the application
material as a single PDF file with your full name in the file name to
mdipoppa at g.ucla.edu. Informal inquiries are welcome. For more details visit
www.dipoppalab.com.

All the best,
Mario Dipoppa