Connectionists: Postdoctoral position in systems neuroscience - freely moving optophysiology - University of Bonn, Germany - Circuit Mechanisms of Behavior Lab

Rose, Prof. Tobias Tobias.Rose at ukbonn.de
Thu Aug 10 10:27:43 EDT 2023

Dear all,

Our research group “Circuit Mechanisms of Behavior” at the University Hospital Bonn (lab Tobias Rose) invites applications for a full-time (38.5 hours/week) position as: Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d):

Detailed description:
<https://www.nature.com/naturecareers/job/12803739/postdoctoral-researcher-mfd>
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) - Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen (DE) job with Universitätsklinikum Bonn | 12803739<https://www.nature.com/naturecareers/job/12803739/postdoctoral-researcher-mfd>
nature.com<https://www.nature.com/naturecareers/job/12803739/postdoctoral-researcher-mfd>
        [favicon.ico] <https://www.nature.com/naturecareers/job/12803739/postdoctoral-researcher-mfd>

Closing date: 31st of August 2023
Start date: flexible
Contact: Tobias Rose, Tobias.Rose at ukbonn.de

The selected candidate will investigate the "Encoding of Landmark Stability and Stability of Landmark Encoding”:

You will study visual landmark encoding at the intersection of hippocampal, thalamic, and cortical inputs to retrosplenial cortex. You will use cutting-edge miniature two-photon Ca2+ imaging (https://tinyurl.com/mini2pCA1), enabling you to longitudinally record activity in defined, large neuronal populations and long-range afferents in freely moving animals.

You will carry out rigorous neuronal and behavioral analyses within the confines of automatized closed-loop tasks tailored for visual navigation. This will involve the application of advanced tools for dense behavioral quantification, including multi-angle videography, inertial motion sensing, and egocentric recording with head-mounted cameras for the reconstruction of retinal input.

Our aim is to gain a comprehensive understanding of the immediate and sustained multi-area neuronal representation of visual landmarks during unrestricted behavior. We aim to elucidate the mechanisms through which stable visual landmarks are encoded and the processes by which these representations are stabilized to facilitate robust allocentric navigation.

Ideal candidates for this position should hold a doctorate in neuroscience, engineering, physics, or a related discipline, and should be deeply committed to rigorous neuroethology and technical development. We seek individuals with a "tinkering spirit", i.e., a strong penchant for problem-solving and creativity. Essential competencies include the demonstrated ability to design and carry out complex neuroscience experiments, robust programming capabilities, and a foundational knowledge of machine learning methodologies. Valuable experience would include a familiarity with rodent behavior, both in freely moving and head-fixed contexts. Although not mandatory, a background in visual neuroscience or navigation neuroscience would be viewed favorably.

We are looking for a driven candidate with a solid record of accomplishment who is enthusiastic about interdisciplinary research. The successful candidate will be prepared to bring their skills and experience to our innovative and collaborative research environment.

While this role is tailored towards a specific project, we are equally enthusiastic about supporting the development of your individual research pursuits.

Applicants should send their application in a single pdf file, including a cover letter explaining your research interests and motivation for joining the team, CV, and contact information for two references. Applications will be shortlisted based on the above selection criteria. Please send your formal application to Prof. Tobias Rose via email until 31.08.2023. The Expected start date is September 2023 or at the earliest possible date thereafter. Informal enquires about the post are welcome. For more information on our research, please visit www.troselab.de (mastodon: @trose_neuro at neuromatch.social, twitter: @trose_neuro).

--
Prof. Dr. Tobias Rose
Circuit Mechanisms of Behavior

Vorstand: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Holzgreve, MBA, Vorstandsvorsitzender und Ärztlicher Direktor • Clemens Platzköster, Kaufmännischer Direktor und Stellv. Vorstandsvorsitzender • Univ.-Prof. Dr. Bernd Weber, Dekan der Med. Fakultät • Univ.-Prof. Dr. Alexandra Philipsen, Stellv. Ärztliche Direktorin • Alexander Pröbstl, Vorstand Pflege und Patientenservice • Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Heinz Reichmann • Gerichtsstand Bonn • Finanzamt Bonn Innenstadt • USt-IdNr.: DE811917555 • Bankverbindung: Sparkasse KölnBonn • BIC COLSDE33 • IBAN DE52 3705 0198 0010 6506 61