Connectionists: ChatSOME: A neural model of how children learn language meanings

Grossberg, Stephen steve at bu.edu
Fri Aug 4 18:22:33 EDT 2023

Dear Connectionists colleagues,

I am writing to call your attention to an article that I just published Open Access which is relevant to many current themes in neural modeling:
Grossberg, S. (2023). How children learn to understand language meanings: A neural model of adult–child multimodal interactions in real-time. Frontiers in Psychology, August 2, 2023. Section on Cognitive Science, Volume 14.
 https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2023.1216479
Here is its Abstract:
++++++++++++++++++++++
This article describes a biological neural network model that can be used to explain how children learn to understand language meanings about the perceptual and affective events that they consciously experience. This kind of learning often occurs when a child interacts with an adult teacher to learn language meanings about events that they experience together. Multiple types of self-organizing brain processes are involved in learning language meanings, including processes that control conscious visual perception, joint attention, object learning and conscious recognition, cognitive working memory, cognitive planning, emotion, cognitive-emotional interactions, volition, and goal-oriented actions. The article shows how all of these brain processes interact to enable learning of language meanings to occur. The article also contrasts these human capabilities with AI models like ChatGPT. The current model is called the ChatSOME model, where SOME abbreviates Self-Organizing Meaning.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
These contributions build upon results that are described in my recently published Magnum Opus:

Conscious Mind, Resonant Brain: How Each Brain Makes a Mind

https://www.amazon.com/Conscious-Mind-Resonant-Brain-Makes/dp/0190070552

that I wrote to be self-contained and non-technical in a conversational style for the general public.

Best,

Steve

Stephen Grossberg
Wang Professor of Cognitive and Neural Systems
Director, Center for Adaptive Systems
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics & Statistics, Psychological & Brain Sciences, and Biomedical Engineering
Boston University
sites.bu.edu/steveg/
steve at bu.edu<mailto:steve at bu.edu>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Grossberg