Connectionists: Postdoc position Differential Geometry of Neural Manifolds

Christian Leibold christian.leibold at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Aug 1 10:30:32 EDT 2023

Postdoc position at the University of Freiburg

The lab of Christian Leibold (https://www.neurotheory.uni-freiburg.de/)
invites applications of postdoc candidates on topics related to the
geometry of neural manifolds. We will use spiking neural network
simulations, analysis of massively parallel recordings, as well as
techniques from differential geometry to understand the dynamics of the
neural population code in the hippocampal formation in relation to
complex cognitive behaviors.

We are seeking candidates with a strong motivation to combine
mathematics, modern statistical methods and neuroscience and have a PhD
in theoretical physics, computational neuroscience, machine learning  or
related fields. Strong programming skills (ideally Python) are an
essential qualification.

Our research group combines modelling of neural circuits with the
development of machine learning techniques for data analysis. We strive
for a diverse, interdisciplinary, and collaborative work environment.

The work group is located at the Bernstein Center Freiburg
(https://www.bcf.uni-freiburg.de/) and tightly embedded in the vibrant
Freiburg Neuroscience community, including the BrainLinks-BrainTools
Cluster (https://www.brainlinks-braintools.uni-freiburg.de/).

The University of Freiburg is committed to equal opportunity, diversity
and inclusion. In case of equal qualification and experience, physically
challenged applicants are given preference. The University of Freiburg
is dedicated to increasing the share of female employees and highly
encourages female scientists to apply. We also highly encourage
applications from outside Germany.

Applications including academic CV, transcripts, at most two example
papers and two letters of reference should be sent electronically to
raphaela.straub at biologie.uni-freiburg.de. We will start screening the
applications after August 31st.

Putative starting date: January 2024
Contract duration: initially 3 years