Connectionists: ICBINB Monthly Seminar Series Talk: Bastian Rieck

Francisco J. Rodríguez Ruiz franrruiz87 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 19:13:54 EDT 2023

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce that the next speaker of the *“I Can’t Believe
It’s Not Better!” (**ICBINB)* virtual seminar series will be *Bastian Rieck**
(**Helmholtz Munich**)*. More details about this series and the talk are
below.

The *"I Can't Believe It's Not Better!" (ICBINB) monthly online seminar
series* seeks to shine a light on the "stuck" phase of research. Speakers
will tell us about their most beautiful ideas that didn't "work", about
when theory didn't match practice, or perhaps just when the going got
tough. These talks will let us peek inside the file drawer of unexpected
results and peer behind the curtain to see the real story of *how real
researchers did real research*.

*When: *May 4th, 2023 at 4pm CEST / 10am EDT

*Where: *RSVP for the Zoom link here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMuduqqrDktHdEWPaQsDL6uS-wdGF1jCt3j

*Title:* *What’s in a Graph?*

*Abstract:** Graph learning is one of the most rapidly-growing subfields of
machine learning research. With a deluge of different architectures
available, one may get the impression that *anything* can be modelled as a
graph. However, for some data sets, it turns out that structural features
are not driving predictive performance, and the existence of edges may not
even be beneficial for generalisation. These puzzling findings lead me to
ponder new directions for our field and raise awareness about *how* we work
with data.*

*Bio:** Bastian Rieck is the Principal Investigator of the AIDOS Lab at the
Institute of AI for Health and the Helmholtz Pioneer Campus of Helmholtz
Munich, focusing on topology-driven machine learning methods in
biomedicine. He also has the honour to be a TUM Junior Fellow and a member
of ELLIS. Previously, Rieck was a senior assistant in the Machine Learning
& Computational Biology Lab of Prof. Dr. Karsten Borgwardt at ETH Zürich.
He obtained his Ph.D. in computer science from Heidelberg University, which
is also where he got his master’s degree in mathematics.*

For more information and for ways to get involved, please visit us at
http://icbinb.cc/, Tweet to us @ICBINBWorkhop
<https://twitter.com/ICBINBWorkshop>, or email us at
cant.believe.it.is.not.better at gmail.com.

--