Connectionists: Call for Applications: Spring Course in Computational Neuroscience Paris March 19-23, 2018

Alain Destexhe destexhe at unic.cnrs-gif.fr
Sun Jan 14 16:58:06 EST 2018

Hi All,
I am forwarding this announcement as the deadline is in a month.
Sorry for those who already received it.
All the best,
Alain

------------

Call for Applications:

Spring Course in Computational Neuroscience, Paris, March 19-23, 2018

We hereby announce the EITN Spring Course in Computational
Neuroscience of March 19-23, 2018.  It will be held at the European
Institute of Theoretical Neuroscience (EITN) in Paris, and is
organized by the Theoretical Neuroscience Group of the Human Brain
Project.  The main focus of the course will be to understand and
design neural models at multiple scales, ranging from cellular and
circuit models to large-scale brain networks.

Organizers: Idan Segev (Hebrew University), Markus Diesmann
(Research Center Julich), Viktor Jirsa (CNRS, Marseille), Sonja
Gruen (Research Center Julich), Gaute Einevoll (NMBU), Alain
Destexhe (CNRS and EITN) and Gustavo Deco (University Pompeu Fabra).

The goal of the course is to teach different techniques of
computational neuroscience spanning different scales:
Day 1: single-neuron models (Segev)
Day 2: mean-field models (Destexhe)
Day 3: model comparison and validation (Gruen, Einevoll)
Day 4: from local circuits to whole-brain models (Diesmann, Jirsa)
Day 5: resting state and sensory processing (Deco)

The students will be asked to form 5 interdisciplinary working
groups on each one of these themes, and will do a short modeling
project using one of the simulation packages presented at the
course (Python, NEST, Brian, The Virtual Brain...) Tutorials and
use cases will be provided to teach students how to use these
packages.

The student selection will be based on their excellence, and also
based on their need to follow such a course.  Experimentalists and
theoreticians are welcome, a prior background in basic neuroscience
is required.  We request that the students come to the course with
their laptop computer and have software installed, which we will
identify prior to the course, to allow working on the projects and
tutorials.

The deadline for applications is February 15th, 2018.  Applications
consist of a one-page CV and a motivation letter to explain why you
would like to attend this course.

Applications should be sent to the EITN, at eitn at unic.cnrs-gif.fr