Connectionists: Final (EXTENDED DEADLINE: 10 May 2018) CFP: 9th International Conference on Brain Inspired Cognitive Systems (BICS 2018) & IEEE Brain Data Bank (BDB) Challenge Competition

Prof Amir Hussain ahu at cs.stir.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 04:08:41 EDT 2018

Due to numerous requests from authors, the (final) deadline for BICS'2018
has been extended to 10th May 2018, please see details below.

We look forward to seeing you in X'ian this summer!

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS - BICS 2018 & IEEE Brain Data Bank (BDB)
Challenge Competition (see details below)

International Conference on Brain Inspired Cognitive Systems (BICS 2018)
Xi'an, China, July 7-8, 2018  (http://bics2018.org )

The 9th International Conference on Brain Inspired Cognitive Systems
(BICS 2018) will be held in Xi’an, China, as a sequel of BICS 2004 -
2016. It is co-organised by Northwestern Polytechnical University
(www.nwpu.edu.cn) and The Guangzhou Key Laboratory of Digital Content
Processing and Security Technologies (www.gpnu.edu.cn).

Geographically located at the heart of China, Xi’an is the capital and
largest city of Shaanxi Province. It once served as the capital city
of ancient China for 13 dynasties, with a history of 5,000 years.
Xi’an witnessed the most glorious history of China, and now ranks as
one of the top 10 tourist destinations in China with a distinctive
culture. Xi'an is the starting point of the Silk Road and home to the
Terracotta Army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor in Chinese
history.

BICS 2018 aims to provide a high-level international forum for
scientists, engineers, and educators to present the state of the art
of brain inspired cognitive systems research and applications in
diverse fields. The conference will feature plenary lectures given by
world renowned scholars, regular sessions with broad coverage, and
some special sessions and workshops focusing on popular and timely
topics.

BICS 2018 conference proceedings will be published as part of Springer
LNAI Series (indexed by EI).
Selected papers will be published in a special issue of the leading
(ISI SCI indexed) Springer journal: Cognitive Computation Journal
(http://springer.com/12559 - current ISI Impact Factor: 3.44).

           Important Dates

   - Full paper submission (FINAL extended deadline): *10 May 2018*
   - Notification: * 31 May 2018*
   - Camera-ready paper due: *10 June 2018*
   - BICS’2018 special Issue in Springer’s Cognitive Computation
journal (SCI: 3.441 in 2017):* Planned, late Vol. 19, 2019*
   -

* Conference: July 7-8, 2018*

------------------ Topics of interest ------------------ -Biologically
Inspired Systems (BICS-BIS)

-Cognitive Neuroscience (BICS-CNS)

-Models of Consciousness (BICS-MoC)

-Neural Computation (BICS-NC)

----------------------

IEEE BDB Competition

----------------------

The IEEE Brain Initiative has sponsored several challenges and
competitions during 2017 to analyse a range of brain/neuro datasets.
The first IEEE Brain Data Bank (BDB) Challenge was held in June at St.
Petersburg, as part of the IEEE SPCN 2017 Symposium
(https://spcn.co/). Other challenges were held in Glasgow, Scotland,
October 31, 2017, during the IEEE SENSORS Conference
(http://ieee-sensors2017.org/), followed by  the IEEE BDB Competition
in Boston, USA, December 9, 2017
(https://brain.ieee.org/news/call-participation-ieee-brain-data-bank-challenge-boston/).

Following the success of BDB Challenges in 2017, there are new
activities planned in 2018. Apart from last year’s global events, the
BDB will be held for the first time in China in July 2018, in
conjunction with the 9th International Brain-Inspired Cognitive
Systems (BICS) Conference. You are cordially invited to participate in
the Xi’an competition, and to exercise your curiosity and creativity
to make sense of your chosen datasets (see details on our website
<https://nemo.strath.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=aGWSN4UNwRCzMFvGv2hyr5Z2kEhOt3kO8yssqY-UA4GA6hs2t3rVCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AYgBpAGMAcwAyADAAMQA4AC4AbwByAGcALwBpAGUAZQBlAC0AYgBkAGIALQBjAG8AbQBwAGUAdABpAHQAaQBvAG4A&URL=http%3a%2f%2fbics2018.org%2fieee-bdb-competition>)

*Judging*
Entries will be judged in three categories:

   - Data analysis including well-justified, innovative, and rigorous
methodologies
   - Data visualization including novel, highly informative, and
aesthetically appealing visualization techniques
   - Presentation and interpretation of findings including clear,
informative delivery and compelling investigation and interpretation

*Awards*
There will be 3 awards given:

   - 1st place – $600.00
   - 2nd place – $400.00
   - 3rd place – $200.00

They will be judged based on the 3 categories described above: data
analysis, data visualization, presentation and interpretation of
findings.

---------- Organizers ---------- General Chairs

   - Yanning Zhang, China
   - Jiangbin Zheng, China
   - Amir Hussain, Scotland, UK
   - Jinchang Ren, Scotland, UK
   - Narisa Nan Chu, USA

Program Chairs

   - Xiaoya Fan, China
   - Huimin Zhao, China
   - Cheng-Lin Liu, China
   - Bin Luo, China

--
The University achieved an overall 5 stars in the QS World University Rankings 2016/17
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,