Connectionists: Postdoc position studying neural correlates of creativity (and collaboration)

Manish Saggar manish.saggar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 18:37:24 EDT 2017

The Brain Dynamics Lab (BDL) directed by Dr. Manish Saggar at Stanford
University has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow to
investigate the role of brain dynamics during individual and team
creativity (and collaboration).

Specifically, we have several ongoing projects using multi-modal and
multi-person (a.k.a. hyper-scanning) neuroimaging to study the neural
correlates of (a) creative capacity enhancement and sustainability; (b)
team creativity; (c) reflection (vs rumination) during creative thinking;
and (d) the so-called “slump” in creativity during middle childhood.

We use a number of neuroimaging modalities including simultaneous EEG/fMRI,
structural/functional connectivity, and fMRI/fNIRS/EEG to measure brain
activity across space and time during complex tasks. We develop and employ
several computational tools to capture and quantify transitions in brain
activity (or connectivity) using Applied Mathematics and Machine Learning.

Successful applicants will have a background in several of the following
areas: Recording and analysis of neuroimaging data (fMRI preferred),
structural/functional connectivity, the design of complex behavioral
experiments/tasks, signal detection theory, cognitive modeling, machine
learning.  A Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering,
Computer Science, Neuroscience or Psychology is preferred.

The BDL (http://bdl.stanford.edu) is within the Department of Psychiatry &
Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University. We are part of a dynamic and
vibrant neuroimaging division of the department (Division of
Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences; DIBS).
Interested candidates should send via email their CV, three representative
papers, the names of three references, and a cover letter to Dr. Manish
Saggar (saggar at stanford.edu).

The position is for one year, with the option to renew for 2-3 years, given
satisfactory performance and available funding. The positions are available
immediately and applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.

m-

Manish Saggar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Faculty, Hasso-Plattner Institute of Design (a.k.a. d.school)
Stanford University, Stanford CA
ph: +1-650-723-3656 <(650)%20723-3656>
www: http://bdl.stanford.edu