Connectionists: Open positions: PhD and Postdoc in Autonomous Learning Group at MPI for Intelligent Systems, Germany

Georg Martius georg.martius at tuebingen.mpg.de
Fri Feb 24 07:29:25 EST 2017

Please forward this job advertisement to candidates who might be interested.
Thanks,
	Georg Martius

              Open positions for PhD Students and Postdocs in
                     Autonomous Learning Group
                       with Dr. Georg Martius
      Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen, Germany
         Details: http://georg.playfulmachines.com/#section-182

*Institute:*

   Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen
http://is.tuebingen.mpg.de

The Max Planck Institutes are world class research institutions.
The goal of the Institute for Intelligent Systems is to understand the
principles of perception, learning and action in autonomous systems that
successfully interact with complex environments and to use this understanding
to design future systems.

*Research group and topics:*

   New research group with focus on autonomous learning and developmental
robotics, led by *Georg Martius*, see http://georg.playfulmachines.com
*We develop new algorithms and theory for making robots curious and to give
them the ability to autonomously learn how to act.* We apply our methods to
*real robots, in particular, soft and tendon driven systems which we partly
build in the lab*.
Research topics include and combine reinforcement learning, information
theory, self-organization, dynamical systems, deep learning, and also soft
robotics, mechanical engineering and 3D printing.
We largely work with and Python, C++ and Mathematica.

*Time and funding:*

   The positions are available from May 2017. The appointment for PhD students
will be for three years and for Post-docs for one or two years and can then be
extended if needed. Fully funded with competitive salary and full social
security.

*Requirements:*

   Candidates should have an education in computer science, physics,
mathematics, electrical engineering or any related field. Required are strong
mathematical and programming skills as well as the ability to communicate and
work well in a team.

*Application details and instructions:*
	http://georg.playfulmachines.com/#section-182

The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals
with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from
such qualified individuals. Furthermore, we seeks to increase the number of
women and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.

*Deadline:*

   Official deadline is March 18., but later applications might still be
considered.

Dr. Georg Martius
Autonomous Learning Group
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems
EMail: georg.martius at tuebingen.mpg.de
Spemannstr. 34, 72076 Tübingen, Germany