Connectionists: Postdoc positions in Neuromorphic computing in Singapore

Yansong Chua james4424 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:57:57 EST 2017

Multiple scientist and research engineer positions are available in
Singapore, at the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), A*STAR, Singapore.
This project is part of a large multidisciplinary grant in neuromorphic
technologies involving  multiple universities and research institutions in
Singapore (NUS, NTU, IME, IHPC, I2R). The project is focused on building a
new neuromorphic chip using RRAM that enables on-chip learning, together
with a suite of learning algorithms that would then be deployed in
applications in the advanced manufacturing domain.

The primary scope of our research is to develop spike-based computing and
learning algorithms for deep spiking neural networks on a neuromorphic
chip. Specifically, we are interested in employing spikes in information
processing and learning. To this end, successful candidates will conduct
research in one or more of the following areas:

- Neuronal coding. What coding and readout strategy underlie spike-based
representation. How to encode external stimuli into spike based
representations and how to readout information from spike activities.

- Learning. How does neurons adapt their synaptic weights to perform a
given task under cases of supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement
signals. What are the underlying mechanisms for deep-structured network
learning.

- System integration and applications. How to integrate different
computational principles into a system and apply it to solve different
practical tasks.

Preference will be given to candidates who can document knowledge in
machine learning, neural networks, information processing, system design or
hardware implementation with VLSI and FPGA.

Candidates must have a PhD (for scientists) or MS/BS (for engineers) in
computer science, computational neuroscience or related fields. Strong
programming and quantitative skills are highly desired. Candidates should
be proficient in spoken and written English.

The appointments will be for 2 years, and extended for another 2 years,
after review. Salaries are commensurate with internationally-competitive
salaries and benefits. For comparison, in 2013, Singapore's per capita GDP
is US$55,000 and US's per capita GDP is US$53,000.

Other benefits include:
- Funding for international conferences and training courses
- Collaboration opportunities with an excellent network of international
scientists

Candidates please send your curriculum vitae, a statement of research
interests and three references to Dr. Yansong Chua (chuays at i2r.a-star.edu.sg)
or Dr. Qiang Yu (yuqiang at i2r.a-star.edu.sg).

More information:
- Institute for Infocomm Research: http://www.i2r.a-star.edu.sg/