Connectionists: Tenured faculty positions in Machine Learning and AI at the University of Edinburgh

Charles Sutton csutton at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 10:25:40 EST 2017

Tenured faculty positions in Machine Learning and AI at the University
of Edinburgh
Closing date: 31 January 2018

We are hiring faculty in machine learning and artificial intelligence to
join the School of Informatics, at the University of Edinburgh, as part
of a multiyear expansion in these areas. We seek candidates with
research interests and experience in the theory and application of
machine learning and artificial intelligence, with substantial
publication records and strong research potential.

Positions are available at the rank of lecturer, or for an exceptional
candidate, to the more senior ranks of senior lecturer or reader. A
lectureship is a full-time academic position roughly equivalent to an
tenured assistant professorship in other countries; senior lecturer and
reader are roughly equivalent to tenured associate professor. Candidates
from all areas of machine learning and artificial intelligence will be
considered.

The School of Informatics is one of the largest research concentrations
of computer science and artificial intelligence in Europe, with 117
faculty, 120 postdoctoral researchers, and 370 PhD students. In machine
learning, the University of Edinburgh has one of the largest research
groups in Europe, with faculty including Chris Williams, Chris Bishop,
Michael Gutmann, Iain Murray, Guido Sanguinetti, Amos Storkey, and
Charles Sutton. We also benefit from close links to other active areas
of artificial intelligence in the School, including natural language
processing, speech processing, robotics, and computer vision.

The School of Informatics is host to the EPSRC Centres for Doctoral
Training in Data Science, in Robotics and Autonomous Systems, and in
Pervasive Parallelism. The adjacent Thomas Bayes Centre for Data
Technology will be the home for data-driven applied and translational
research at Edinburgh. As further recognition of our strength in these
areas, the University was selected to be one of only five founding
partner universities in The Alan Turing Institute, the UK's national
research institute for data science. The appointee will enjoy
opportunities to supervise PhD students from these Centres and from
other sources.

Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr Jacques Fleuriot
(jdf at inf.ed.ac.uk) or Dr Nigel Goddard (nigel.goddard at ed.ac.uk).

--
Charles Sutton * Reader in Machine Learning * University of Edinburgh
Faculty Fellow, Alan Turing Institute * http://turing.ac.uk/

Please excuse brevity: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email_monster

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.