Connectionists: Professor of Robotics

Tony Pipe Tony.Pipe at brl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 03:55:57 EST 2017

Job title: Professor of Robotics

Department: Bristol Robotics Laboratory
Campus/location: Frenchay, Bristol campus
Salary band: £60,173 - £86,889 per annum
Duration of post: Permanent

Closing date: 19 January 2018 @ 23:59

Job Overview:

The Bristol Robotics Laboratory at the Faculty of Environment &
Technology have an exciting permanent and full time position for a
Professor of Robotics to join BRL within the Engineering, Design &
Mathematics Department.

The Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS) research-and-innovation
pipeline is now experiencing unprecedented growth, evidenced by
substantial new research opportunities appearing across the UK, EU and
global funding landscape.

In the context of Human-Robot Interaction, you will champion research in
control systems underpinning:

 1. advanced augmented and virtual reality via immersive tele-operation;
 2. dynamic Levels of Autonomy (LoA) , typically varying from
    teleoperation to autonomous control, i.e., the ability to
    dynamically switch between different LoA so as to significantly
    outperform any single Level.

These research topics can lead naturally to shared control frameworks
that enable both human and AI to collaborate in controlling one or more
robots, thus simultaneously fusing reasoning from both the human and the
autonomous agent. These methods are particularly relevant to
safety-critical application domains where remote operation and varying
autonomy could be highly beneficial.

This strategic focus resonates strongly as a fundamental and core issue
in domains that stretch from assisted living, through robot-assisted
surgery, to operations in an array of challenging and/or hazardous
environments (e.g. nuclear decommissioning, subsea, space, offshore
maintenance), and human-robot teamwork in manufacturing domains that
incorporate critical elements of ‘Industrie 4.0’. In all of these areas,
a human-in-the-loop may be required for some or even all of the time,
but complex manipulations may be too difficult to directly teleoperate
efficiently.

We are looking for a candidate that could take on the challenge of
joining these common factors across the application domains, all of
which are existing foci for BRL, i.e., a candidate who will work with
and grow our existing teams as part of our BRL Unique Selling Point.

We welcome applications from researchers able to build on strongly
linked disciplines and who are fully committed to developing one or more
of the area of research outlined above.

UWE Bristol is an ambitious university. Together, our people are working
hard to advance knowledge, inspire people and transform futures. We are
looking for people with the skills and ambition to help us achieve those
aims.

We are a well-established university, with over 27,000 students, 250,000
alumni and 3,000 staff. Students come to study with us from all over the
UK, as well as from 140 different countries around the world, making
this a diverse and interesting place to come and study.

Bristol itself is a hub of social and cultural activity. A place with a
strong, creative and fiercely independent mindset. A city with a buzzing
music scene, great restaurants and interesting business ventures. It’s
not surprising Bristol is consistently named as one of the best places
to live and work in the UK.

In addition to progressive pay rates, UWE Bristol offers a wide range of
staff benefits including:

  * a generous holiday allowance of 35 Days
  * up to 12.5 bank holiday/closure days per year in addition;
  * flexible working;
  * excellent defined benefit pension schemes;
  * option to participate in the cycle to work scheme;
  * family friendly policies;
  * onsite nursery at our Frenchay Campus;
  * option to purchase childcare vouchers.

This post is based at our lively Frenchay campus where we have invested
in the latest facilities and resources to give our students access to
everything they need to succeed – with £300m being spent on new
state-of-the-art learning spaces and accommodation between now and 2020
to enhance our offer even further. Frenchay campus is within close
proximity to excellent motorway links and within walking distance of two
train stations, making UWE Frenchay Campus the ideal place to work for
those wishing to commute to Bristol.

If you have any queries or would like an informal discussion, please
contact the Director of BRL, Prof. Chris Melhuish at
Chris.Melhuish at uwe.ac.uk or on +44 117 328 6332.

Link to Bristol Robotics Laboratory with more details of the laboratory
and full advert is: http://www.brl.ac.uk
(http://www.brl.ac.uk/jobsatbrl.aspx for advert only).

Alternative link for more details of the role and how to apply, please
visit:
https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engine/jobs.cgi?amNvZGU9MTY5MzczMiZvd25lcj01MDU1Mjc4Jm93bmVydHlwZT1mYWlyJnBvc3RpbmdfY29kZT00OTcmdnRfdGVtcGxhdGU9MTUzOA&jcode=1693732&owner=5055278&ownertype=fair&posting_code=497&vt_template=1538

--
Tony Pipe
Professor of Robotics and Autonomous Systems

Bristol Robotics Laboratory
T-Building
Frenchay Campus
Bristol UK BS16 1QY