Connectionists: Lifelong Machine Learning please

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Mon Apr 17 17:53:37 EDT 2017

In my opinion a new term IS justified, because one of the premises of
the L2M program at DARPA is that something is not right with current
approaches to the problem of learning in AI systems.  They have many
failings, so some radically new thinking is required.  That, after all,
is what DARPA is all about:  encouraging groundbreaking new ideas.

If your suggestion were adopted, and the "Lifelong Learning Machines"
label were dropped in favor of some variant of one the existing terms,
what would be the point?  That would be like saying "The existing
approaches are okay, and we need more of what they are doing."  That
seems to me to be exactly the opposite of the intention with the L2M
program.

And, apart from anything else, my own research does directly address the
problem of L2M, but at the same time it does not fit anywhere inside the
existing approaches.  Your characterisation of the field in the second
paragraph below is, I am sorry to say, completely irrelevant and almost
meaningless in my own framework.

I don't speak for DARPA, of course.  This is just my take on it, and my
interpretation of what was said at the Proposers' Day.

Richard Loosemore

Susaro.