Connectionists: Researcher position at ATR Brain Labs (Kyoto, Japan)

Haruo HOSOYA haruo.hosoya at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 20:59:15 EDT 2016

Dear all,

ATR Brain Labs in Kyoto, Japan has an open position for a researcher to work on
machine learning for computer vision in collaboration with computational neuroscientists in our institute.
I would appreciate if you forward the following message to anyone who might be interested.

Best regards,

Haruo Hosoya, Senior Researcher
Department of Dynamic Brain Imaging
ATR Brain Labs, Cognitive Mechanisms Laboratories

■Researcher position at ATR Brain Labs., Kyoto, Japan

Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR), Kyoto, Japan, has an open researcher position in brain-inspired computer vision.  Our institute has a long tradition in computational neuroscience and has recently been promoting research of computational modeling of primate visual systems based on hierarchical learning theory (project outline: http://www.cns.atr.jp/~hosoya/project_outline.pdf <http://www.cns.atr.jp/~hosoya/project_outline.pdf>).  We seek for applicants who are interested in working on brain-inspired machine learning algorithms for vision in collaboration with our computational neuroscientists for vision.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. or be near completion in a relevant field.  The applicants are required to show an expertise in machine learning research for visual processing as well as a strong interest in neuroscience.  The successful candidate will be asked to propose and autonomously work on
(1) a research topic using an original method that has a realistic applicability (e.g, image/video analysis) and a connection to primate vision, and
(2) a research topic that applies, to a realistic problem (e.g., image/video analysis), computational models of primate vision developed in our institute.

Haruo Hosoya, Ph.D.
Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR), Kyoto, Japan
2016, September

■Number of openings
One

■Employment conditions
Position : Full-time Researcher
Tenure   : Single year based contract, renewable based on evaluation
Treatment: Based on individual performance
Work Location: Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR)
2-2-2 Hikaridai, Seika-cho, Soraku-gun, Kyoto 619-0288, Japan

■Application materials
Please submit the following five materials to the contact address below, either in printed or electronic form:
	• 1	CV
	• 2	List of publications
	• 3	Reprints of 1-3 major publications
	• 4	Essay (up to two pages in A4 or letter size) describing:
	 – Summary of your previous research
	 – Interests for research
	 – Additional research skills not directly foreseeable from 1 or 2
	• 5	Recommendation letters from more than two researchers
* If submitted in printed form, original documents will not be returned.

■Judging system
After documentary examination, we ask for presentation and interview if needed.

■Starting date
Soon (negotiable)

■Deadline for application
Opens until positions are filled.

■Contact
Department of Dynamic Brain Imaging
ATR Cognitive Mechanisms Laboratories  (Application for Researcher Position)
2-2-2 Hikaridai, Seika-cho, Soraku-gun, Kyoto 619-0288, Japan
Email: dbi-tvn at atr.jp <http://atr.jp/>     at=@
Web: http://www.cns.atr.jp/dbi/en/open-positons/ <http://www.cns.atr.jp/dbi/en/open-positons/>

■Use of personal data
All personal data received will be properly managed and only be used for the purpose of recruitment.