Connectionists: PhD Studentship available in the lab of Brad Wyble, Penn State University

Brad Wyble bwyble at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:26:58 EDT 2016

Call for PhD student applicants, Penn State University, Laboratory of Brad
Wyble

The lab of Brad Wyble at PSU is looking to recruit graduate students in the
fall semester of 2016 for a starting date of August, 2017. The topics of
research will be decided in conjunction with the student, but are likely to
involve the neural mechanisms underlying visual attention and memory
function, broadly construed.

Lab Research Synopsis

Our lab attempts to understand the nature of mental representations that
are constructed from recent visual experience by building computational
models of the neural mechanisms underlying attention and memory. These
models are constrained by data from our lab, including psychophysics,
electrophysiology, and eye-tracking. We have dedicated facilities for EEG
and eyetracking within the building, a 100-core supercomputer in the lab,
and larger on-campus computing resources. Our lab also manages four testing
booths for rapid psychophysical testing.

Details about ongoing projects can be found at http://wyblelab.com/research,
however we strongly emphasize student independence in project development
and authorship. Students are encouraged to play a key role in the
construction and evaluation of computationally formalized models of neural
mechanisms. Our lab advocates as well the principles of open science, with
data and method sharing using the Open Science Framework among other tools.

A background in programming (MATLAB, Python, etc) and/or statistics is
preferred but more important is a curiosity about the neural circuitry that
enables attention and memory systems to build an understanding of the
external world.

Interested applicants should apply to the Psychology department at
http://psych.la.psu.edu/graduate/prospective-students/how-to-apply-to-graduate-school-in-psychology
and should note that the deadline for applications is December 1st.
Informal inquires can be directed to Brad Wyble at bwyble at gmail.com.

Brad Wyble
Associate Professor
Psychology Department