Connectionists: PhD Position on “Local Balance in Neuronal Networks" in Freiburg, Germany

Birgit Ahrens birgit.ahrens at bcf.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Nov 24 03:07:46 EST 2016

*The Biomicrotechnology Lab of Prof. Ulrich Egert
<http://www.imtek.de/professuren/biomikrotechnik/biomikrotechnik_startseite>
is looking for a PhD student *

Research Topic:
“Local Balance in Neuronal Networks"
Neuronal networks with inhomogeneous connectivity have been suggested to
be more robust against saturation and excessive synchronization in high
input regimes. This strongly depends on the specific type of balance of
excitation and inhibition as well as the role and effectiveness or long
range connectivity. Locally unbalanced networks could contribute to an
optimal representation of information in wide range of input regimes, or
conversely to pathological network dynamics. In this context, we are
interested in the role of inhibition/excitation balance beyond the
statistical mean. We expect that local variability, the extent of
connectivity and the specific properties of inhibitory/excitatory
balance influence the activity structure and robustness of neuronal
networks. We test this in synthetic networks of cultured cortical
neurons using electrophysiological, optogenetic and computational
techniques. This project explores the control of neuronal network states
via optogenetic modulation of the excitation/inhibition interaction.

Funding:
We invite applications to join the lab for a 3-4 year PhD project in
neurophysiology within the PhD program “BrainDisC”
<http://www.bcf.uni-freiburg.de/teaching-and-training/braindisc> at the
Bernstein Center Freiburg. The project is financed by a fellowship of
the DAAD that can only be awarded to non-German applicants that have not
been staying in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of their
application.

Requirements:
The successful applicant has some prior training in experimental
neurophysiology, excellent command of the English language, high
motivation for independent work, knowledge of some programming language,
ideally Matlab or Python, and willingness to contribute to an
international team. Experience with cell cultures, network modeling or
intracellular recording would be a plus.

The Bernstein Center Freiburg:
The Bernstein Center Freiburg <http://www.bcf.uni-freiburg.de/>
concentrates research in Computational Neuroscience and Neurotechnology
at the University of Freiburg, Germany. The projects are highly
interdisciplinary and span across mathematical-theoretical approaches on
the function and dynamics of neuronal networks, neuroanatomy,
experimentally driven neurophysiology and the development of
technologies for medical application.

How to apply:
Please apply using our online form at https://yoda.bcf.uni-freiburg.de/
and indicate "Egert" as preferred project. The deadline for applications
is January 31, 2017.

Further details on: www.bcf.uni-freiburg.de/jobs

--
Dr. Birgit Ahrens