Connectionists: practopoiesis, empirical predictions

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 22 23:21:12 EST 2016

For those interested in practopoiesis:

A paper recently came out on the empirical predictions for testing the
theory of practopoiesis. One critique of the theory was that it did not
have testable empirical predictions. Now, this has changed in a
significant way. I wrote a long paper specifying a number of non-trival
predictions that can test whether the theory of practopoiesis is
sustainable or not. The paper is published as a chapter in a book on the
topic of closed loop experimentation:

***Nikolic D. (2016) Testing the theory of practopoiesis using closed
loops. In:**Closed Loop Neuroscience
<http://store.elsevier.com/Closed-Loop-Neuroscience/Ahmed-El-Hady/isbn-9780128024522/>**.
Ed. Ahmed El Hady. Academic Press.*

Anyone is welcome to run those experiments. And you can also expect from
me help in designing those experiments.

Notably, I think that these predictions can be also used as an
inspiration for creating interesting computational models of the
dynamics of the nervous system -- especially to address challenges of
the relationship between the brain and mind. The theory and the
suggested experiments propose a new set of ideas on how the brain
creates global workspace, attention, working memory, how it perceives,
etc. There is a rich set of unanswered modeling questions and challenges.

One key point of the theory is that computational models of the brain
would need to implement closed loop interactions with the environment of
the organism, and that only then can the models capture brain dynamics
correctly. This way, the approach proposed by practopoiesis is closely
related to the work of J.J. Gibson and "4E cognition", and departs from
the traditional representational view of the brain.

I was happy to see that the original paper on practopoiesis was sitting
for many months on top of the list of most read articles at JTB. Thanks
everyone for the interest.

And of course, please feel free to drop comments or ask questions.

Best,

Danko

Prof. Dr. Danko Nikolić

Web: